Saturday 13 September 2008

Plastic Swans

A swan swallows small plastic particles with each piece of the bread I'm throwing into the water near it. Each particle helps to slowly build a clear, deadly coating for the inside of the swan's stomach. The unintended cruelty that only occurs to me after I have tossed the last morsel over the guardrail. My solution being to do a painting or write about it. The swan looks happy enough, but that's just me anthropomorphizing it. I'm putting a smile on it's beak every time I look.

These small plastic particles will eventually find their way into the world's largest ocean, where they will be caught in it's strongest currents and carried deep down into it's own organs where they shall harm and even kill anything bigger than a plastic particle. They are changing the water's composition. More literal than anything Disney has ever done, that which composes 60% of our bodies is turning to plastic. We are turning into plastic.

No comments: